Friday, August 21, 2015

Quilted Chicken Door Stop

I did it!
My first time ever quilting something.
It's not a quilt but the basics of quilting.

has an awesome video showing how to make a chicken pincushion.
I thought I would use a charm pack and make it bigger for a door stop!

The chicken measures 8 1/2 x 9 inches,
 and weighs 2 1/2 lbs.
She is filled with 3/4's polyester fiber &
the bottom is filled 1/4 of pea rock.
Did I have fun!
I am on a roll now and will be making them for my sisters for Christmas.
I bought all my fabrics at
Primitive Gatherings.
I love their shop here in town!

I always use my rug mug!
No water circles or condensation build up on my table.
I have mug rugs in my ETSY shop!
This is the other side of my hen.
I think I did a pretty good job matching up the seams for the first time (wink,wink).
Look at those darling tail feathers!
For the others I will use a larger "prairie point" under the three.
I am planning on using different methods for the comb.
I can't wait to see what half fabric yoyo's would look like!

Charlie and Sammie (Samantha)
are always there giving me support!
Now off to make some more chickens …
here chickie, chick, chick!

Get yourself a fabric charm pack and makes some!
Hummm … wonder if my chickens would like one in their coop?!

15 comments:

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Very sweet and I think you did a great job! I love the whimsy of your chicken.
warmly,
deb

Laura said...

Love this idea! I've done a few pincushions from Jenny's tutorial...I just love Missouri quilt company! Thanks for sharing...I just might have to try one of these for my kitchen door!
Sweet blessings,
Laura

Betty from My Irish Cottage Home said...

Congratulations. You did a great job and it is so cute.

Kris said...

Hi Maryjane! You did a fabulous job on your chickie door stop! Quilting is so relaxing! Come on over some day and sew with me!
xo Kris

Kristina said...

That is so cute! Love it! Excellent idea for gifting too.

Karen L. Bates said...

Your babies are pretty interested in the new chicken....they think you are making them some new toys! Ha! You had better get busy. Great idea to make them into a door stop. I could use a giant one to keep open The Chicken Mansion door.

Shelia said...

This is adorable! I love your little chick and you did a great job! And...you did a good job in matching your seams! Those little tail feathers are so cute! I wish I had such an attentive crowd cheering me on! :) Thanks for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Ramblings of a Southern Girl ~ Rhonda G said...

Your hen is too cute! You did an awesome job! Hope you're having a great weekend! ~Rhonda

Unknown said...

Awesome little chicken,,,,can't believe you have never quilted ??? Your a natural!!! Primitive Gatherings has a beginner quilt class, but you really
don't need it!!

Dawn said...

OMG this is too adorable. Im new to your blog so I need to go back and read other posts too :) I'm headed to the antique shops today and on my list was to look for doorstop, but after seeing yours I may have to make my own. What a briliant idea :)

Staci at Life At Cobble Hill Farm said...

Cutest. Thing. Ever! I absolutely adore it and yes, I'm sure your chickens would too!! :)

cynthia lee designs said...

Very cute!! You did a great job making it!
~Cindy

Carrie said...

Oh, so super cute!

Carole West said...

Cute Chicks you did great! This might be the perfect project for me to get started quilting. I raise quail so maybe I could make little quails. I live in the south and whenever I see a handmade quilt I'm in awe and think.... someday. Well I'm almost an empty nester so I'm thinking someday might be right around the corner. So many things I want to do...
Hope you have a great weekend - Just found your blog and subscribed, looking forward to reading more.

Carole @ Garden Up Green

Have a Daily said...

So cute Mary Jane!
I have the pincushion, but what a fun idea to make it bigger. You did a fabulous job!
hugs,
Jann