Monday, August 17, 2015

Freezing Fresh Eggs

Many times my hens eggs add up, so I give them away. 
Recently, I have noticed on a few chicken blogs 
that we can freeze eggs!
I thought how perfect that will be for 
the winter months when my hens lay less.

Perfect for baking, fried egg sandwiches,
scrambled eggs … the list goes on.
Sweet Myrtle 

Getting some help from some of my favorite
chicken blogs 
&
I went to work!
 I took 2 dozen eggs and washed them with 
luke~warm water & mild soap.
 I set up my station to make it fast and easy.

I bought these silicone trays HERE.
You can also use a muffin tin or ice trays.
I cracked an egg in each divider.
I sprinkled a dash of salt on each egg, covered, and put into the freezer.

*The yolk can gel, thicken or becomes grainy when frozen,
so the salt slows down the process.
You do not have to use the salt.

The next batch I will try it without.
More details on this topic is on blogs listed above.
After they were completely frozen I popped them out,
and put them in freezer bags for future baking.

Thaw overnight in fridge
or under COLD water. 
As I use them up, I will freeze more!

They last up in the freezer for 6+ months.
Clean up was easy breezy!
Until next time, have a wonderful day!

13 comments:

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

WOW, who knew!!! Thanks for sharing.
warmly,
deb

Cozy Little House said...

This is great to know! Wish I could have chickens.
Brenda

Jeannie Sukow said...

Hi MaryJane,

I was wondering if we had to add the salt before freezing the eggs?

Jeannie

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Jeannie … The yolk can gel, thicken or becomes grainy when frozen, so the salt slows down the process. You do not have to use the salt. Thanks for asking! I just added this info to the post! ~Maryjane

Kristina said...

I have frozen egg whites before, but I never knew the yolks could be.

Ann'Re said...

Awesome! The next time I have an abundance of eggs I will try this. Wonder if freezing effects the taste?

Shirley Hatfield said...

This is a fantastic tip, Mary Jane! Could I use this information in my Relief Society Blog? They really liked your Crisco candle info.

mickle said...

THANKS so much! I have a friend who wipes each egg with mineral oil and stores them in the cardboard cartons, not the styrofoam. They last for.... months! I haven't tried it but I will try this frozen idea.

Oliva Ohlson said...

Wow...who knew this could be done!!! TFS

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Shirley, yes, yes, yes! Please share on your Relief Society blog! Wish we had one in our ward! Thanks! Hugs, Maryjane

Diana said...

Nice post, & lovely photos - I've been wanting to give this a try for a long time - not really sure why I have never done it! Now I'm inspired to give it a whirl!

Diana said...

I've intended to try this for a long time now & never get to it - thanks to you, I will give it a whirl!

Karen L. Bates said...

What a wonderful idea. I often have too many but always give them away and then sometimes the girls slow down...so this is great, especially, like you say in the winter. Thanks.