Sunday, June 7, 2015

Egg Laying in a Big Summer Basket

 My sweet hen Sadie is wearing a "chicken apron" for a while.
(More known as a saddle~apron for the hens when an aggressive rooster is tearing feathers & skin). 
 Her back tail feathers are being pecked on by naughty Daisy. 
She doesn't mind the apron and can still get a good dust bath!

I put this BIG basket in the chicken run in case the hens wanted to lay their eggs there.
Summer is upon us and the coop sometimes becomes warm inside.

Sadie took right to it, so I started taking pictures.
 Daisy became curious too!
I love how a chicken can s-t-r-e-t-c-h their neck!
Sadie is getting very annoyed and making screeching sounds.
What a "look" she can give!
 Okay now … 
back to what this nesting basket is all about!
 And there we have it,
a beautiful egg. 
The others followed, except one.
Nellie preferred laying in the coop.

Thank you sweet hens for your daily gifts!

6 comments:

Terra said...

Sadie looks very stylish in her chicken apron, I had not heard of those before. Next thing you know, she will be hanging out with you in the kitchen, wearing her apron and giving you cooking tips. No eggs please would be her main rule.

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

I also haven't heard of a chicken apron :) Very fun basket for the hens!
warmly,
deb

Libby said...

This is way too cute !!!

Love your chickens!

Shirley Hatfield said...

The apron looks so cute on your sweet hen. The colors really match! I think all chickens should wear them. The other day on Facebook I saw some adorable baby goats in pajamas...I almost squealed with happiness! Of course I was the little girl who dressed up her cat, so I may be a bit dotty in the head. =D

Have a Daily said...

Well, I have never heard of a chicken apron but oh my gosh she looks so darn cute! Love those looks Sadie gives and so fun that she loves that basket!
hugs,
Jann

Elaine Lewis said...

I love every bit of this!!