Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Delicious Hard "Steamed" Fresh Eggs

Yes, steamed eggs!

Farm fresh eggs, and backyard chicken eggs
as in my 3 hens, are very difficult to peel when boiled.
The eggs were sticking to the shell and the eggs had big chucks wasted.
It was a disappearing egg act!

I have tried boiling, baking and now steamed!

This method I absolutely love and will never boil eggs again.
 I use a very large pot and a metal strainer that fits in the pot.
Hubby took one of the handles off for me so it would fit.
(Do not use stainers that are enamel~like, painted. Paint bubbles.)

Add about 2 inches of water to bottom of the pot.
Bring to a boil. Do not turn down because it needs to boil 
on the bottom of the pot the entire time.
 Add the eggs and strainer to the bottom of pot. 
I steam a dozen at a time.
Cover and let steam for 22-23 minutes.
 Immediately after steaming, 
put eggs in a bowlful of ice water.
Keep the eggs in ice water until eggs are cool. Then peel eggs.
 My heart be still …
perfectly peeled eggs!
I can never resist making a little half sandwich of deviled eggs after the eggs are cooled.

1 egg, diced
1 tablespoon of mayonnaise 
salt & pepper to taste
~
Mix & enjoy!

10 comments:

Amber ~ The French Pressed Home said...

I was wondering how they came out so perfect because I, too, do not like the waste of peeling fresh eggs! Thank you so much for sharing!!

Libby said...

WOW, THANKS FOR THE TIP ~ SANDWICH LOOKS YUMMY ~

ALL I NEED IS CHICKENS! ;0)

mickle said...

OH MY! I have a large pot that has a "strainer" insert [for lack of a better term] I cook LARGE amount of pasta when the family is here - it has handles and I can just lift it out ---- oh boy! I'm trying this today.... just wish I had the egg laying chicks in the backyard too :) THANKS!!!

Lori T said...

Maryjane, I love this idea! We don't have chickens at the moment, but the egg shells at the stores here in Montana are weird compared to the ones we bought back in Georgia. I can't peel the crazy things to save my life. I'll be trying this next week.

corners of my life said...

Okay - steamed egg salad for lunch today. Thanks

Dorothy Crutchfield said...

Thanks for that good tip! I've never been able to peel those really fresh hen eggs. And I love a good egg salad sandwich.
xoxo,
Dorothy

Karen L. Bates said...

Yumoh... I knew about this steaming method but do not have a steamer....well, yay, I can do this. I have a big pot and a colander. Perfect.

Jill said...

Finally, after 30 years of trying every imaginable way to peel a fresh egg, I do declare this is the best advice I've ever received! Thanks for the VERY informative post.

Leslie said...

I can't believe this actually works! It's perfect! The eggs slide right out. I was literally giggling and shouting to my husband to come watch. Thank you thank you thank you!

Sharon Calvert said...

Just to let you know I tried this method and it worked like a charm! I shared it on my Facebook page, and a friend tried it as well - also with great results. Many thanks for taking the time to share.

Happy Thanksgiving from Alabama!