Monday, September 8, 2014

Chicken Treat Center!

***
I have in the corner of my family room a 
"chicken treat center"!

Early each morning as dawn is breaking you will
find me here gathering a morning treat for my sweet hens.

I made the chicken scratch myself!
Recipe below.
I bought the containers at a local antique shop.
This vendor takes vintage parts and makes wooden lids! 
So clever and I love them!
I keep the chicken scratch and first~aid supplies in them.
The table is a old farm "bin" table with big drawers underneath
that use to hold flour & sugar.
I have more chicken supplies in the drawers.
***
This is the healthy scratch I make:

I buy everything at WinCo except for the dried mealworms.
I buy a those at Kahoots, a feed store.

I take a clear vegetable bag and fill each 1/2 full of:

*wild bird seed
*raw black oil sunflower seeds
*raw shelled sunflower seeds, no salt
*couple big handfuls of oats
& large bag of dried mealworms.
They love it!

Have a wonderful day!

7 comments:

Kris said...

Yummy! How are things now in the coop? Love those containers!!!!
xo Kris

Karen L. Bates said...

Love those jar lids! Your chickens are so lucky to have you as a Mommy! Mine are spoiled too but I don't make their treats...as least not much.

NanaDiana said...

You are a good Mama Hen to your chicks! They are perfectly spoiled....AND....I LOVE those jars! xo Diana

Mrs. Winter Twig said...

Those chicks must be in complete happiness.

Hugs!

Winter

Jann Olson said...

Those jars are awesome! Love them filled with the chicken treats!
hugs,
Jann

Elaine L. said...

Oh yummy for those chickens. I mix mine something very similar and they love it but my daughter makes me laugh. She refuses to dole it out cause of the worms.

House Crazy in Michigan! said...

A friend just recommended me to your blog. She knows I am grandmother and a chicken lover!! I only have three grand daughters, the most I'll ever have but we have a ball on our 5-acre homestead. I just rescued a momma hen and her five two week old babies. Now this has been quite an adventure! I blog at http://smallhouseunderabigskyhomestead.wordpress.com LOVE your green and milk glass chicken pieces. I NEVER see those in my area. Lucky you! Donna at the Small House Homestead