Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Frozen Treat Ring for the Chickens!

I love Pinterest!
I have learned so many things about raising backyard chickens.

I read to keep an eye on your chickens closely when it heats up about 85 degrees.

One thing to keep your chickens cool is making a 
Frozen Treat Ring! 
I added some corn & wheat spouts I grew to the bottom of a bunt pan.
Cover with water, freeze.
Then I added watermelon & apples. Cover with water, freeze.

Easy breezy!

The next one I will add dried worms & a few sunflower seeds.
Add what ever your chickens love!
All natural and healthy for your chickens.
Myrtle is always the first to check things out.
Daisy is next, then Emily, Nellie, then shy Kate.
Just checked in with them … picking away at it!

It should keep them busy for awhile.

Already started another one for tomorrow.
We will be in the 90's all week!

Stay cool and have a great day!

8 comments:

Kristina said...

I'll have to remember this. We typically crush just ice and put it around in their shade places.

Kris said...

Hi there! Oh my, I have missed so much! I think I am all caught up now. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the new coop. The glass knob...oh how beautiful! The girls look very happy! I make frozen treats for my flock in the summer too. And on super hot days, I run a mister out there. They have done okay as long as they can cool off.
Those Emu eggs are incredible! Wow!!
Have a good rest of your week!
XO KRis

Katmom said...

Oh Maryjane... you are tooo cute! Between you and Karen,,, your little hens are so pampered... as it should be!
Hugz,
2piap

meemsnyc said...

This is a great idea! They must love it!

Karen L. Bates said...

Super cute idea! I just read a wonderful book full of great ideas for our chickens....Fresh Eggs Daily by Lisa Steele. It is full of wonderful ideas.

I tried several things yesterday and will share in a post tomorrow...before I head out of town to glamp again.

NanaDiana said...

Maryjane- YOU are an amazing CHICK! (chick mom)....lol What a great idea. It makes me want chickens again- xo Diana

The Vintage Housewife... said...

So amazing! Thanks for the post! Sweet lil baby chicks!

corners of my life said...

Such lucky little birds ...