Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Meet My Baby Chicks!

Meet Daisy, Myrtle & Kate!
Our new little peeps!

They are a (gold) Buff Orphington,
a (red) Rhode Island Red,
and a (black) Barred Rocks.
I have raised chickens before and
have missed them. So with excitement I am a Chicken Mama again!
I looked on Pinterest about different kinds of homemade brooders.
Last time I used a huge box, 
this time a playpen!

It is working out perfect!
My hubby added a wood bottom, covered in canvas. Perfect for deep cleaning.
I have them in one of our extra guest rooms. I put in a rocking chair and a cute, small electric fireplace! It's so cozy. I crochet and watch my girls every evening.
Here are my other chicks Grace & Flossie
We had 3 but Sadie ended up being a ROOSTER!
Here they are all grown up.
They were awesome hens!
These are some of the beautiful eggs they blessed us with each morning.
So looking forward to cooking & baking with fresh eggs again!
I love the quote from Tilly @ Tilly's Nest.
Her chicken blog is one of my favorites!
Now off to rock, crochet and watch my chicks grow!

Have a wonderful day!

10 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Oh, Maryjane. Is there anything sweeter than baby chicks? I loved getting them in the Spring. My mother always got them and they came in a box full of air holes and mother would put them under a heat lamp and fill the feeders with mash and another with water. We would pick them up and rub our noses against their fuzzy little heads. There was that sweet smell of baby chick that clung to us long after we put them back under the warmer.

Your new babies are just beautiful. I hope you show us pictures of them as they grow up! xo Diana

Kris said...

Hi Maryjane! Congratulations on the new girls. They look very healthy! I have wanted a Buff Orpington for a long time. I want to find one this Spring! I hope to get to see you on the 13th.
xo Kris

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

Oh my word, they are the cutest chicks! My friend raises chickens too and we share in the bounty of the eggs. Good luck with your new feathered babies!

Kathleen Grace said...

How wonderful! Aren't they just the cutest things? I love fresh eggs too and can't see why anyone would get white chickens when there are so many prettier colors. We usually get Rhode Island reds, Buff Orpingtons and Barred Rocks. We are getting some this spring just as soon as it gets warm enough for them.

Delirious said...

Ahh, I'm so jealous! I really want chickens. When I move back to the States I want to try to figure out a way to have some. I'm kind of worried about our current house because we have raccoons that have attacked my neighbors' chickens and ducks. I have to plan this carefully. :)

Leanne said...

Congratulations on your triplets. I can imagine all the freshly laid eggs - enjoy!

Mimi Sue said...

LOVE baby chicks! Lucky you being a chicken mama! Mimi

janice15 said...

I would love to have a few baby chicks.. so sweet and the Hens are beautiful.. with love Janice

Katmom said...

awweee, how lucky you are... enjoy your 'girls'...
2piap

Karen L. Bates said...

I too broke down and decided to get more chicks as I didn't have much luck with my girls. One more time...I got 6 in hopes of getting some more eggs.

Love your pictures. Great idea...playpen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...