Monday, May 14, 2012

Grandma Sadie's Fruit Salad!

I love this vintage fruit salad recipe that has been severed on family tables for many years! A well loved recipe is never forgotten. 
I made this batch for our Mother's Day dinner that was served at our daughter Shelli's home. 
She spoiled all of us, as usual!
Grandma Sadie's Fruit Salad

Ingredients:
1 ~ 11 ounce can mandarin oranges, drained
1 ~ 8 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
2 cups miniature marshmallows
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup sour cream ~ I use Greek yogurt, so good!

Directions:
Combine the oranges, pineapple, marshmallows, coconut, and sour cream (Greek yogurt)
Stir until all mixed together. Refrigerate for 4-8 hours before serving.
***Make sure you drain the fruit well! 
I will be sharing my sister Linda's Macaroni Salad next!
Have a wonderful day!

15 comments:

Terra said...

Oh Maryjane, I stopped and wrote down this recipe and will try it for our next family event. It sounds like a perfect warm weather dish. We love Fage Greek yogurt so will use that. Thanks for the recipe. I like the coconut flakes ingredient.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

My Grandma made this salad, too. Her recipe box ... is one of my favorite possessions.

Stacey said...

Yummy! Sounds perfect in the hot summer time.

Stacey said...

Yummy! Sounds perfect in the hot summer time.

Cozy Little House said...

I don't prepare much in the kitchen. I'm always out in the garden. But this one I want to make!
Brenda

Kris said...

Oh yummy. We have been making this, or a similar one for many years too. Hope you had a great Mothers Day!!

myletterstoemily said...

i love marshmallows in my fruit
salad, because that's just how
MY grandmother fixed it, too.

Karen said...

Oh,this is like the old fashioned 'Ambrosia' you see in old cookbooks sometimes, but much easier! I can almost taste it! I will be sure to add this to my recipe box - thank you for sharing! xx

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

Thanks so much for sharing your recipe!! I can't wait to make it!!!!

Gretchen said...

Thanks for sharing that recipe. I've made some in a similar way but never used yogurt.

Gretchen

Linda Starr said...

That's a perfect dish to serve the salad in.

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

We call this type of salad Ambrosia (because it's food of the Gods!).

Yummy!

craftyles said...

That sounds so yummy. My Mom made something like this!

janice15 said...

SOUND WONDERFUL LOVELY FOR SUMMER TIME......

Linda Sue said...

I got this recipe from my "Foods Class" teacher in 1968. Been making it ever since.