Thursday, July 7, 2011

Make Your Own Candy Buttons!

Remember the old fashion candy buttons, that are still around? I LOVED them as a child and still do! Daughter Shelli made up a batch of them (and they actually taste better then the original) for our 4th of July gathering. They did not last long. I love her recipe and it doesn't leave paper in your mouth! Remember that?
I put them in these vintage jars that I have had for years. 
Here is the recipe!
 Thank you Shelli :)

CANDY BUTTONS

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
  • 1 egg white
  • 3 drops yellow food coloring
  • 3 drops blue food coloring
A great tip! Piping is just like using a toothpaste tube, so the same rules apply: Squeeze from the end and keep the tip clean. (Save money and make your own pastry bag. Take a resealable plastic bag and snip off the tip of one corner.)

Directions:

  1. Cut white computer paper (we all have that!) into twelve 2-by-11-inch strips. Using an electric mixer, beat the confectioners’ sugar and egg white until thick and smooth, about 5 minutes. Divide the icing into 2 small bowls. Stir the yellow food coloring into one batch and the blue food coloring into the other. Cover the blue icing with plastic wrap.Arrange the paper strips side by side on a work surface. Scrape the yellow icing into a small, resealable plastic bag and snip off a tiny corner. Pipe out the icing onto the paper strips in dots, about 1/3 inch apart in even rows of 3. 
  2. When about a quarter of the yellow icing remains, add approximately the same amount of blue icing to the bag, stirring with a toothpick. Continue to pipe green icing dots onto each paper strip. Transfer the blue icing to another small, resealable plastic bag and continue piping. Let the dots sit at room temperature until hardened, 12 hours or over night.
     Yummy!

37 comments:

Tracey said...

What a great and easy recipe!! I love candy buttons.. I can only find them at one store in Maine.. Yummies in Kittery, Maine..love them and how you stored them makes them extra special!!

*Shelli* said...

♥MOM that was so much fun to make! Everything always looks SUPER CUTE when you display things at your home :)

Cozy Little House said...

Well, how cute, Maryjane!
Brenda

Bella said...

Hi Maryjane,
Oh I loved those too! what an easy recipe... and so pretty in the jar!
Bella

Shelia said...

Hi Maryjane! Oh, yes, I remember these and yours are so pretty in those jars! I'll have to try this!
Thank you so much for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Shelia said...

Hi Maryjane! Oh, yes, I remember these and yours are so pretty in those jars! I'll have to try this!
Thank you so much for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

rosaspicks said...

How adorable! I used to love candy buttons! And I love them all rolled up in pretty jars...

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

those do bring back memories! I had no idea you could make them, what a great idea!

PumpkinMoonStudio said...

OMG! I do remember these and I'll bet hers tasted much better than the old ones. I will try these on my grandkids. I'm sure they will love them as much as I did.

Teresa said...

Wow how fun to make your own candy buttons. Brings back lots of memories.
Teresa's Heartfelt Stitches

NanaDiana said...

My granddaughters love those buttons and we can hardly ever find them. What a fun recipe. Thanks! xo Diana

Julie Harward said...

Pretty post...I do remember them and these do sound so good..thanks for sharing this! :D

Evelyn said...

Cute idea. I love the jars..so pretty.

Evelyn said...

Cute idea. I love the jars...so pretty.

Lemon Lane Cottage said...

What a fun idea. Did you say what kind of paper she used? Was it parchment or freezer paper? These will be perfect in my penny candy display!

Tara Jackson said...

What a great idea! I had never thought of making them at home. My kids will love this one!

laurie said...

what a great idea and they just look beautiful

Maggie Ann said...

I do remember these! Thank you for the recipe...Your photos are beautiful too.

Kelly Mac said...

The best recipes are always so simple. It'll be so much fun to make these with the kids--maybe even do some shapes, like little pink hearts for my daughter.

Ali said...

Well isn't that neat! I've never tried my hand at candy making before, but this looks simple enough.

Hope you had a fab long weekend Maryjane.

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/Lavender Hill Studio said...

I do remember these...and candy necklaces...that turned your neck all colorful!

Cindy said...

Thanks for sharing these with us.They look so easy to make..we will see...lol

Did you make the screen door on your little trailer or did it come that way?

Hugs Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gingham

Elsie said...

Ohhh Maryjane they look so good.
If you make them yourself you can take all the calories out huh...
teehee. Thanks so much for the recipe. That will be good project for my twin grand daughters to make.

Kristeen said...

never done his before - thanks for sharing..

Red Couch Recipes said...

How fun that is! Joni

Elyse said...

GASP!

i love this idea! candy buttons are so adorable and who knew they were so simple to make? (well, they look simple anyway.) i'll have to give 'em a try! ooh - the possibilities of making certain colors ... shades of blues, periwinkles, purples ...

happy weekend, my maryjane!

love,
elyse
xo

Victoria said...

Stunning pictures. They look great. x

Simple Pleasure said...

What a fabulous idea...I LOVED these as a child!!! Since I save EVERYTHING, I had many rolls of paper used in an adding machine...worked out beautifully...waste not; want not!!
Busy Hands...Happy Heart
Patricia

Chester County Cottage Girl said...

Maryjane:

Yes I remember these as a child. I just found some in the grocery store and just shared them with my niece and nephew today. They loved them too! Love the jars!

Elaine @ Sunny Simple Life said...

Now that is just too darn cute!!

Kelle said...

I just wanted to stop in and say hi! I'm your newest follower and fan. Love your blog! When I saw the darling vintage trailer I had to read more (:

Kelle
http://littlevintagetrailer.com

Anonymous said...

I will have to try the "buttons"!! forgot about them. thank you for sharing!! will try and get my site, deeslittlepinkie up and running! I am not very savy at this! in the meantime, I send you
Pink Hugs,
Dee

Boho Farm and Home said...

What a great idea and SO creative!
Thanks for sharing Maryjane!
xo
Caroline

Angie Berry said...

Oh me oh my!! My absolute favorite old time candy... well, one of them anyway! I can make it myself and it tastes better?? How can that be? I am SO excited that I found your blog at the most perfect time, hehe! =] Thanks for the recipe! It is most definitely getting pinned to my Pinterest board and will be made as soon as I can. Maybe I can get some made up before we head out to church camp next week... oh the youth would love me, haha! Thanks so very much for sharing!!

Carol said...

Great way to display them!

Magnolia Blues said...

What fantastic vintage jars. Where did you find such jewels? The candy looks so cheerful and yummy.

Anita said...

Those look yummy! I have never had them, though. Adorable!! Thanks for stopping by!!