Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Celebrating!

This past weekend we had a family dinner celebrating hubby's birthday. I made his favorite main dish "Mock Enchilada" and daughter Heidi made his favorite cakes, Carrot Cake & Lemon Poke Cake... yummy family favorites for years! Daughter Shelli made these darling huge tissue pompom's! 
I will be leaving these up for quite awhile! 
~
Mock Enchilada
~
1 lb. lean beef or turkey
1 diced onion
1 package of Fritos
1 large can Denison's Chili & Beans
1 small can Denison's Chili con Carney (optional)
1 pint of sour cream
1 package shredded cheese
garlic salt to taste
Brown meat, garlic salt & onion together, drain. Add chili to mixture.
Layer in a 9x13 inch pan:meat mixture, Fritos, cheese. Repeat once more.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.
Top each serving with a dab of sour cream.
***Always a family favorite for birthday dinners!
Have a wonderful day celebrating life!

16 comments:

Elyse said...

how fun!

happy birthday to mr. beehive cottage!

love,
elyse
xo

Brenda Kula said...

So very festive, Maryjane!
Brenda

momstheword said...

I love the bright colors! Very cheerful.

I looked on your sidebar and somehow I couldn't find a "mock enchilada" recipe. I couldn't see anywhere that you have your labels listed so I couldn't look it up under the recipe label either.

Am I totally missing it on the sidebar or is it not there? Thanks!

Carol said...

Maryjane,
Wonderful celebration. Happy Birthday to the mister!

A Vintage Chic said...

Happy Birthday to your hubby! Looks like a wonderful party--the recipe sounds delicious!

Just have to tell you--I've got my own container full of beautiful homemade laundry soap, thanks to you! Used the Pink Zote soap--love it!

My girls are so excited about making it & it smells heavenly!

Thanks for the recipe & inspiration, Maryjane!

Julie

Elsie said...

Happy Birthday to Daddy Beehive Cottage. How nice for everyone to pitch in and help.

Mimi Sue said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like a delicious and not too hard recipe. Mimi

Bee happy said...

Love the pompoms, the food sounds fab aswell!

Bee happy x
Have a delicious day!

Bluebirds and Butterflies said...

Hi,
Happy Birthday to "Mr. Beehive" and hope you have fun celebrating his special day! The recipe sounds great, and we will all have to try it. Thanks for sharing the recipe and have a fabulous birthday celebration. xoxo Kim

A Vintage Chic said...

Me again!

I was trying to find your email, but can't! I'm in central Cal...Salinas, near Monterey. What stake are you in?

I think it would be SO much fun to have a Cal. blogger gathering! Fabulous idea!

Talk to you later...

Julie

Molly said...

Thank you for sharing the recipe and for the many lovely blog posts. Hate to be dumb but what is pink sour cream? I tried to google it but didn't find anything that made sense.

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Oh Molly, I am having some good giggles going on here! I am sooooo sorry about the PINK sour cream!!! As you can see, everything on my blog is pink...pink on the brain! I meant to say PINT of sour cream! It's close isn't it?! Heehee! I fixed it! Thanks for asking!

Silly me,
Maryjane

Ashley said...

How fun! I wish you put a picture of the enchiladas - they sounded good.

Terra said...

This sounds delicious, and happy birthday to Mr. Beehive Cottage.

Shelli said...

We always have so much fun at your home :)

Shelli said...

P.S. Happy Birthday Daddy! XO