Friday, June 4, 2010

The Traveling Pink Gingham Apron

Piture by Maryjane

I am so excited to be a part of The Traveling Pink Gingham Apron that Cindy at Rick-Rack and Gingham came up with! (on my sidebar). We are asked to tell a story in journal form about the darling apron and blog it, then mail the apron on to the next blogger. I choose the year 1950. I love the 50's!
~
Enjoy walking through time with me!
~
June 3, 1950
I am so excited! Tomorrow I am taking the train to Springfield, Missouri to stay with my Mama's sister Aunt Ethel and Uncle Charlie. I am looking forward to seeing the family farm again. It has been several years since I saw it last. This is my first trip ever traveling by myself but now that I am 17 and just graduated from high school, Mama and Papa thought I was grown up to do so. I will be back in 1 week. I shall miss Mama and Papa and my cat Tilly. Love, Ruth

June 4, 1950
I am sitting on the train traveling to Aunt Ethel's and Uncle Charlie's! I love looking out the window to all the beautiful, wide open country. It's breathtaking! All the women on the train have such pretty hats on and wearing gloves. Mama made sure I had a pretty hat and gloves to wear. My gloves are pink! My favorite color! I will soon be rolling into town, then off to the farm! Love, Ruth

Picture by Maryjane

June 5, 1950
Today is my first day on Aunt Ethel and Uncle Charlie's farm! I am so happy to be here! The first thing I did was gather some fresh eggs from the hen house to make breakfast. Aunt Ethel let me wear her sweet pink gingham apron that Grandma Grace made for her when she was a young bride. Aunt Ethel is happy and full of life! Uncle Charlie is a gentle, loving soul! I love them both. Love, Ruth

Picture by Maryjane
June 6, 1950
Today Aunt Ethel taught me how to can dill pickles fresh from her garden. I love dill pickles! It took all day to can. It was a very hot day but we had so much fun! Aunt Ethel told me how she and Uncle Charlie met! He came riding on the farm one day looking for work. He was riding a mule and had a red scarf wrapped around his neck! Love, Ruth

Picture by Maryjane. My crocheting.

June 7, 1950
Today Uncle Charlie drove us into town to Piggly Wiggly for some grocery shopping. Uncle Charlie bought us a soda pop to refresh ourselves from the heat of the summer sun. I had Cream Soda! Then we went across the street to Woolworth for some 100% cotton yarn. Aunt Ethel is going to teach me how to crochet dish rags tomorrow! I choose a pretty yellow yarn. Love, Ruth


June 8, 1950
I love crocheting with Aunt Ethel on the front porch! She loves to tell stories of her and Mama growing up on the farm. The same farm she and Uncle Charlie now own. My Mama Sadie loves the family farm to, but decided to move to the city when she and Papa married. I want to be a farmgirl! Love, RuthPicture by Maryjane
June 9, 1950
Today is wash day. I love the homemade laundry soap Aunt Ethel makes. It smells heavenly! She taught me how to make it. I got to hang the pink gingham apron on the clothesline to dry after wearing it all week! Tomorrow I go home on the train. I will miss Aunt Ethel and Uncle Charlie. Love, Ruth


June 10, 1950
I am home now and missing Aunt Ethel and Uncle Charlie. I had a nice time on the train thinking about all that I have learned from my sweet Aunt. As I was unpacking my little brown suitcase, I noticed something wrapped in white tissue with a pink satin bow. My heart skipped a beat as I opened the the gift to find the pink gingham apron and a written note:Picture by Maryjane

June 10, 1950
To my darling Ruth,

It's now your turn to make many memories wearing this pink gingham apron that your Grandmother Grace made!
"A apron has many stories to tell'!

Love,
Aunt Ethel
xox

22 comments:

Cindy said...

I love it..I love it..I love it!!!
She fit right in on the farm!!
By the way do you really know how to crochet? I wished I did!!
Thank you so much for doing this!! It means a lot to me!! I can't wait to put all the stories and pictures in a little book for us!!

I will post it tomorrow on my blog that you have written a story!!

Hugs ..Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gingham

Jo said...

What a lovely story of the pink gingham traveling apron. It takes you back in time when everybody used aprons. Keep up the good writing. I love your blogspot.

Linda Stubbs said...

Miss Maryjane, you are totally adorable! How much fun was this! You are so much fun on your blog!

Blessings, Linda
Prairie Flower

A Quilter Awakens said...

Oh goodness! This brings back memories of my Aunt Helen and Uncle Frank Farmer (seriously their last name)and their dairy farm just outside Springfield, MO. Perhaps you saw their farm when you passed Willard on the way to Springfield? Karmen

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

I really enjoyed your post about the apron! Have a great weekend, Connie

Sue@CountryPleasures said...

Welcome to the Ozarks!! I live about 100 miles from Springfield, Mo. Love the apron!

Pen Pen said...

Love it! Sweet journal entries!

Kelly Howard said...

Love your precious story! I so enjoyed doing this myself and wish there had been many more ladies to sign up! I adore hearing each unique story!

Violet said...

What a nice story, and I love all the photos you placed with it.

~Violet~

kpaints said...

What a wonderful job. Just too cute! I can see you had a lot of fun! Very creative!

Claudia said...

Oh Maryjane, I love your story! Just perfect. You captured the innocence of the 50's (a decade I love, too) and the simple things in life.

Love your photos, too, my friend.

I'm still going to head back up your way before I go. I promise. I'm still here for 4 weeks.

xo
Claudia

I Love Pretty Little Things said...

Oh, I felt like I was on the farm with Ruth! What a sweet story, and I too would choose the 50's.
It was a special time in our history.
Will we ever be able to get back to a time like that in this world of the internet and MTV?
Pipe dreams...
Thanks for a few minutes imagining a sweet and innocent time. And, I so want that pink apron!!!

A Write Life said...

What a great story! Loved it. have a wonderful weekend.

Elyse said...

hi maryjane,

i so enjoyed reading your story. the little details make it all so real, and how very special that you do so many things today in such a loving, home-spun kind of way, that your post has so many photos.

you are so neat. :)

love,
elyse
xo

Debby said...

What another great story about the apron. Is anyone saving the stories, it would make a cute book.

Debbie said...

Oh my! what a sweet blog you have here. I was poking around, and just love your posts.
The pink apron is so pretty!
Debbie@houseatthelake

Lisa said...

How really great! I love the apron and your story was so fun! I have always loved the stories that came with items i have!
Hope you had a great weekend!
Hugs, Lisa

madrekarin said...

Wonderful! Such a sweet story. :) It's seems like ages since I've been by to visit. L.O.V.E. your new chandeliers! They are amazing. Hope all is well with you.

Karin

craftyles said...

I love your story about the apron. I also love that era of the 50's. Love your pictures too!I'll get to work on mine- I received the apron today.Ideas are swirling in my head. Better get to work.
Leslie

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I truly enjoyed this story, too! And I just posted a photo of a white apron with gingham pockets! ♥

Lori Holt said...

Maryjane...
you are so wonderful. I just love your story and the idea behind it. I wish i would have joined...but I didn't know about it or I would have. Is it too late?
Your photos are just breathtaking and took me back to "gentler times".
I wrote a story on my blog too...not about an apron but about a princess...
x
lori

Tracey said...

Oh how I love your journal entries!! I feel like I'm back in the '50's with you and trying everthing for the first time.. what a great idea this was and I am glad that I got to read your journal and live those days.. even if imagined!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...