Monday, November 16, 2009

Dinner in a Pumpkin!


This has been a family favorite and a tradition since our children were small! I make it every October and November each year and it always brings back memories! I have extra pumpkins this year to cook more dinners in the winter months. It is truly a comfort food! It has a hearty, nutty flavor and the brown sugar gives it the right taste for a yummy meal! The meat of the pumpkin makes for a delicious vegetable. The longer you cook the pumpkin the juices flow and becomes tender...oh my! I just made myself crave a plateful! I use turkey most of the time and diced frozen onions.
The preparation is fast & easy!
I forgot to take a picture of browning the turkey,etc...
Line a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan.
The pumpkin color gets darker and shiny. Yum!
You have to give it a try just to say you had
DINNER IN A PUMPKIN!
~
Dinner in a Pumpkin

A Family Favorite!

1 small to medium pumpkin
1 onion, chopped
1 ½ to 2 lbs. lean hamburger
2 T soy sauce
2 T brown sugar (Mom uses more! I like a sweeter taste!)
1 – 4 oz. can sliced mushrooms, drained
1 – 10 oz. cream of mushroom soup
1 ½ cup cooked white rice
1 – 8 oz. can sliced water chestnuts, washed & drained

Cut off the top of the pumpkin and thoroughly clean outs seeds and pulp. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large skillet brown meat and onions. Drain drippings from skillet. Add soy sauce, brown sugar, mushrooms and soup. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cooked rice and water chestnuts. Spoon mixture into the cleaned out pumpkin shell. Replace top and place entire pumpkin, with filling, on a baking sheet. Bake approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes or until inside of the pumpkin is tender. It could take 1 ½ hours or more. Put pumpkin on a plate. Remove pumpkin lid and serve meat.

For vegetables, scoop out cooked pumpkin and serve.

Serve with apple cider!

*Mom cooks it much longer because she likes the pumpkin meat inside tender…to eat! Enjoy!

32 comments:

jeannette stgermain said...

Wow that sounds really good, and easy too - am definitely going to give it a try! Thanks for the recipe!

Tracey said...

I've also hear of cooking a ham in the pumpkin and cook very long to get the pumpkin tender to eat.. I really like this idea..no pans to was after!!

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi sweet Maryjane!

What fun! I've always wanted to do this but didn't know what or how long etc. Thanks for the great recipe and photos.

I'm so sorry I missed your giveaway! I'm way behind in visiting these days and have missed so much.

Hope all is good with you!
Hugs, Sherry

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I would love to try that! It must smell delish! Thanks!

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh! This sounds delicious! And what a fun presentation. :)

Nancy Jacobs Basketmaster said...

I copied off the recipe and will make it next week. It looks so yummy. Thank you!
Nancy

Barb said...

Sounds wonderful and I bet the smell is amazing....Barb

Julies knitting corner said...

Oh gosh, what lovely colourful pictures the pumpkins make. How nice of you to share this with us, thank you. best wishes Julie.C

Julie Harward said...

Guess what we're having for supper tonight....this! Oh it looks so nummy, I love good food like this...thank you! Come say hi :D

Memaw's memories said...

This sounds really good. I've never heard of cooking a meal inside the pumpkin.

I think I'm going to have to try this.

Claudia said...

What a neat idea, Maryjane! No wonder your family loves this tradition!

Joy said...

Wow how clever! Never would have thought about that before.

Brenda @Cozy Little House said...

What a wonderful idea! All the guests would be so charmed!
Brenda

Sheryl-lyn said...

I love this idea. My sis-in-law and brother-in-law are coming this week for dinner. They would love it. Thanks for the recipe.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

This sounds really good but I'm not a turkey fan unless it's wild game; perhaps I'd go vegetarian.

The Pleasures of Homemaking said...

I'd love to try this - it looks so good!

Manuela

Kate said...

I like this idea. But I think I'll leave out the sugar and use brown rice. It sounds sooo gooood.

aimee said...

what a neat recipe. cant wait to try it. thanks for posting it.
blessings,
aimee

KarenHarveyCox said...

This sounds so delicious, and it looks wonderful too. I have to try this, I love everything pumpkin.
Karen

dobco said...

I have a pumpkin sitting on my porch just waiting for this recipe! Thanks for sharing.

shayna said...

this is so interesting! i love it, it's something my hubby and i will try for sure! thanks for the great idea!!

Katmom said...

oh MaryJane,
yummy! what time shall I arrive for dinner?
We Hope your home is filled(& I know it is) with wonderful smells, lots of laughter and sweet memories this Thanksgiving Holiday.
hugz
>^..^<

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Wow... this is fantastic looking. Mr. P would certainly enjoy this. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Your photos are wonderful..
hugs ~lynne~

Rebecca (FDMB) said...

Hi from your Sister #374, Rebecca Price. I've signed up to follow your blog. Love it!

Hugs,
Rebecca

Jane said...

OH Maryjane!!! this is an amazing blog...I spent an hour here!! It feels so homey!! :) I saw you featured on Blogs.com and I am so glad I came by wow!!! Your recipes, your crafts, your trailer, your kitchen, the pictures you take of it all, the way you do your journaling with big and small letters and the music...it's all a pleasure to my sences!!!! Thanks for sharing it all and I will definetly be back!!!
Jane

Elyse said...

hi maryjane!

how fun is that?! i am sure it smells wonderful, too.

love,
elyse
xo

cathleen said...

Oh, my goodness, Maryjane, this looks really,really delicious!! Sounds like comfort food to me.

*Shelli* said...

♥MEMORIES♥

fairmaiden said...

I have never had this or seen this meal idea before. I just may have to try it...looks yummy. I love family traditions.

kanishk said...

I love your blog and always enjoy your photos. Have a great weekend.

Work From Home india

Coastal Cottage Dreams said...

This sounds so great! Never saw this recipe before! Definitely comfort food....Thanks for sharing.

C'est moi Claudette said...

Never ever have I seen this before MJ.
LOVELY
You are the BEST COOK EVER!!!
xoxoxoxo